Sunday, March 14, 2010

One Leg Shorter???

This coming week is going to be my last week of Aqua Phyical Therapy. Sad to say, but it really did not to anything to improve my condition for fused SI joints. But, I will say my fear of water, that did ease up some. I am not ready for the Olympic Diving Team, but my heart rate did stay under 150 while I was in the water.
The warm water for 30 minutes was a nice relief compared to my little bathtub, so I do recommend it.

One thing that I did find interesting was though, is it possible for the fusing of your SI joints to cause one of your legs to shorten??

While doing water exercises, one of them was to stand with both legs shoulder width apart, then take one leg and slowly swing it forward then behind you. Well, my right SI joint it completely fused, and the left one, the new Doctor found a "small hole" to get the needle into, for the injection. So, I don't know if they consider it COMPLETELY fused or not..but I do. While doing these exercises, my left foot would drag on the bottom of the pool, but my right one would not!
Interesting. I had been told a year or so ago that one of my legs was shorter than the other, but it was like 1/8th of an inch or something. (does that mean much, an 1/8"?)

I had been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, and was sent to a "foot doctor". He gave me a piece of a cotton lift to put in the bottom of my tennis shoe. Within 2 days, I could not walk. I literally could not put any weight on my leg, the pain was excruciating!! The pain in my hip was way beyond a 10 on that famous pain scale that I hate so much! I called him, and he said because I had "something" wrong with my hips, he suggested that I take it out until someone found out exactly what was wrong with me. It took over 3 weeks before I could walk without holding onto something. Trust me, when you are 5'2", being 1/8" taller really isn't that important. I think it has been 2 years now.

Now that my SI joints are fused, my question has been for the physical therapy team...can they be "unfused". They all agree. "NO". Now the fusion can continue up my spine, which is what needs to be stopped, but without being able to take any medicaiton for it, I don't see how this progression can be stopped.

One therapist talked about a medication call Methotrexate, and why I could not take it. Is it hard on your heart?? I know that Remicade is one that I cannot take because it is supposed to cause heart failure. I need to find a new Rheumatologist to work with me.

I just cannot believe that I am the only person that has a bad heart with AS. There has to be some type of medication out there that can stop the progression of this horrible disease!!

I have so many questions..no answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment