Monday, August 9, 2010

I Think I See A Pattern Here

Today was the day I was going to give it my all.  I went to see the Orthopedic Doctor, with my list in hand, nicely typed out.  I was prepared.  Hmmmm, what happened then??  I ended up with another round of physical therapy.  No diagnosis.  Compete different view than the pain clinic, which I guess is why you get a second opinion, so then what, you get a third and then flip a quarter to see who wins?

I was ushered into my room by a .... well, I don't know who or what he was, but he was quick as lightening, and he lost me in the hallway, as well, we know I have to walk rather slowly, and this guy was obviously practicing for his 10K. 

Enter number 2 person.  Very nice women.  Could understand her fairly well.  She was asking the appropriate questions, but it was taking her f o r e v e r!!!  Besides, she had no idea why I was really there, so I jumped in, and went through the numerous appointments over the last few months to catch her up to speed.  She got it!!!  She even examined me, at which point, I was hoping that she was in the correct room, and was supposed to be doing this, but what the hey...she was understanding what I was getting at, and knew exactly where I was hurting before I could point to it!!  She could stay.

Enter my new Doc.  Very pleasant fellow.  Looked right at you when he talked to you.  Ran the story down to him as well.  Sat back in his nice over-sized  leather chair, shaking his head the entire time.  Got on his computer to check my chart, x-rays, and labs.  Did the appropriate exam, which I was SO very grateful for that he was gentle and didn't push me around until I cried, unlike some docs I have had recently.  Then came the talk!

He feels that the injections that the pain clinic had been doing is just going to damage the bone that have fused.
He feels that once the bone fuses, there usually isn't too much pain, so the pain could be coming from somewhere else, and not just the hip joints, but something called "Piriformis Muscle Syndrome".  Basically, this is a tight muscle, on the side of your hip that will trapped a nerve and cause pain.
I have my first physical therapy evaluation appointment in the morning. 

He feels that we will start with the easiest to find and fix, and work our way down the list.  Of course, he didn't give me the list.

I did ask him, as I have asked all my Doctors - - "HOW" and / or "WHY" did my SI joints fuse?  At first, I think he thought I had them fused for pain control.  Then with some further searching in my records, he seen that they fused over a period of time on their own, and as a result, my right leg is now 1" plus shorter than the other.  Because my pelvis is not straight and it fused that way,  that could be another reason for the continuation of pain.  When they purposely  fuse SI joints, they center the pelvis, making sure it is completely straight, then bolt it, so that it no longer moves when you do.  Not the case with me.  (of course not)
 
He also told me that he believes this is genetic and that if my Mother was alive, she probably had it, and if we checked my Father, he probably has it as well....but, he didn't have a name for this.  RIGHT!

Looking on the internet, the genetic testing, the scaroiliitis turning into fused SI joints, fatigue, painful joints, and did I say FATIGUE??? ...are all the symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis.  The same diagnosis the very first pain Doctor gave me. 
Why someone won't say the words now, I haven't a clue, but I am going to find a new Rheumatologist and see about treatment.

One thing that the Orthopedic did not address was the stomach pain.  The first person that came into the room did, and documented it on her sheets of paper, but he did not.  I am not sure if tunnel vision took over, and once he thought he knew what was wrong, he forgot the rest???  Sadly, once he started talking about physical therapy, I forgot the rest!  I was so determined not to agree to physical therapy, but he was very convincing, which is his job I guess. 

When I went to physical therapy before, I was in so much pain afterwards, and even worse then next day.  I am not able to take advil, aleve, or anything like that to reduce the swelling that is caused by the physical therapy, because I am in stage 3 kidney failure.  Once I stopped going, I felt better, and my shoulder got better, quicker even.  So, I have made myself a deal that if I am in greater pain afterward, like before, I will stop and ask for an earlier appointment with him.  (Please, let me keep this deal...please let me keep this deal..)

Until then, I will make a list of my questions that were not addressed at this meeting, so I will be ready for the next one.  I will hand them to him at the beginning of the appointment, and I will have my own copy where I can write my answers on.  Maybe I will "appear" like I am intimidating, and get some answers??  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment